Friday, August 6, 2010

Homestead improvement

This is my latest project (Ceredwyn's);
Adding shingling to the back wall of the house. Carpentry doesn't come either naturally or easily, I was one of those girls who was discouraged from learning these skills because girls didn't need them.

My mother would have vehemently denied this, but she was a product of her time and place so she conveyed the message loud and clear, albeit probably unconciously. So I read books, try to observe others when I can, and all my projects are slow. My mantra has become "It's faster the second time." It takes the sting out of my many do-overs.

This also applies to many of my inside projects. I was not going to be a woman who needed to clean chickens like my grandmother. So I reskill ever so slowly.

No comments: